Today, the Brewers Association released its annual set of lists of Top 50 Breweries from the last calendar year. The rankings are based on beer sales volume, and broken into two lists—Top 50 U.S. Craft Brewing Companies and Top 50 Overall U.S. Brewing Companies. The latter includes the likes of Anheuser Busch and MillerCoors as well as former craft-brewing interests that no longer qualify as craft breweries under the BA’s definition, such as Lagunitas Brewing Co. and locally based concern Ballast Point Brewing.
The Top 50 U.S. Craft Brewing Companies list includes three San Diego County businesses—the same ones that have graced the list for the past several years. Escondido’s Stone Brewing is the highest ranked at #9 (they are listed at #17 on the Overall U.S. Brewing Companies list), with Green Flash Brewing Co. rising four spots from the year prior to #37 (#46 on the Overall list) and Karl Stauss Brewing Co. ascending five spots to take its place at #41.
D.G. Yeungling & Son, Inc. retained the top spot on the Craft Brewing Companies list, followed (in order) by Boston Beer Co., Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., New Belgium Brewing Co., Gambrinus, Duvel Moortgat USA, Bell’s Brewery, Deschutes Brewery, Stone and Oskar Blues. The top 10 for the Overall list was as follows: Anheuser-Busch, Inc.; MillerCoors; Pabst Brewing Co.; D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc.; North American Breweries; Boston Beer Co.; Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.; New Belgium Brewing Co.; Lagunitas and Craft Brew Alliance. Ballast Point registered at #13.
The Brewers Association—the not-for-profit trade group that tabulates production statistics for the U.S. brewing industry— yesterday released its annual lists of the top 50 craft and overall brewing companies in the U.S., based on 2012 beer sales volume.
Top 50 U.S. Craft Brewing Companies (Based on 2012 beer sales volume)
San Diego County breweries in bold; other West Coast – CA, Oregon & Washington – breweries in italics
1. Boston Beer Co.
2. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (Chico, CA)
3. New Belgium Brewing Co.
4. The Gambrinus Co.
5. Deschutes Brewery (Bend, OR)
6. Lagunitas Brewing Co. (Petaluma, CA)
7. Bell’s Brewery, Inc.
8. Matt Brewing Co.
9. Harpoon Brewery
10. Stone Brewing Co. (Escondido, CA)
11. Brooklyn Brewery
12. Boulevard Brewing Co.
13. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
14. Abita Brewing Co.
15. Shipyard Brewing Co.
16. Alaskan Brewing Co.
17. New Glarus Brewing Co.
18. Long Trail Brewing Co.
19. Great Lakes Brewing Co.
20. Firestone Walker Brewing Co. (Paso Robles, CA)
21. Anchor Brewing Co. (San Francisco, CA)
22. Rogue Ales (Newport, OR)
23. Summit Brewing Co.
t24. Full Sail Brewing Co. (Hood River, OR)
t24. SweetWater Brewing Co.
26. Victory Brewing Co.
27. Oskar Blues Brewery
28. Cold Spring Brewing Co./Third Street Brewhouse
29. Flying Dog Brewery
30. Founders Brewing Co.
31. Ninkasi Brewing Co. (Eugene, OR)
32. CraftWorks Restaurant & Breweries, Inc.
33. Odell Brewing Co.
34. Bear Republic Brewing Co. (Cloverdale, CA)
35. Stevens Point Brewery
36. Blue Point Brewing Co.
37. Southern Tier Brewing Co.
38. Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe (Eureka, CA)
39. Karl Strauss Brewing Co. (San Diego, CA)
40. BJ’s Chicago Pizza & Brewery, Inc. (Huntington Beach, CA)
41. Breckenridge Brewery
42. North Coast Brewing Co. (Fort Bragg, CA)
43. Left Hand Brewing Co.
44. St. Louis Brewery, Inc./Schlafly Beers
45. Saint Arnold Brewing Co.
46. Ballast Point Brewing Co. (San Diego, CA)
47. Big Sky Brewing Co.
48. Allagash Brewing Co.
49. Uinta Brewing Co.
50. Tröegs Brewing Co.
See the top 50 overall brewing companies here.